Monday, December 19, 2005

Worked out yesterday - it felt great! I'm sore from it today, which is a good sign. Recently upped the weights for my chest/arms, and it's making a difference. I had an encounter with 10 pounders that were probably more like 12, since they are made of 2 5-lb plates with a bar in the middle that obviously weighs something. I couldn't figure out why the h-e-doublehockeysticks I was struggling with them. I mean, I know I upped from 8 lbs, but I know I'm not that weak! So I braved my way into asking one of the older dudes if the weights were labeled properly etc. and he explained it. A fellow chickadee overheard and supplied more info, what her trainer told her, etc. I have to mention that her muscles were KICKIN'! I wish I could have taken a pix - she would be my real-life inspiration! It's one thing to see magazine pix that are most likely touched up, even if they are "real life stories" in-that-fitness-magazine-that-begins-with-an-S; it's another to see a woman with a buff bod in person.

I also hopped on the elliptical for the first time in years. What a heart-rate elevator that machine is!!! Definitely much easier to get there on the elliptical than a treadmill, and probably better for my knees/shins. Plus you can go BACKWARDS!!! Woohoo! I was actually sweating. My theory on that, though, is the elliptical is so high off the ground that you're in a different temperature zone. No, I'm not kidding. I feel bad for the stairclimbing folks. They're practically touching the gym ceiling.

My eating is so-so. I haven't had enough fruit lately, and my digestion is telling the tale. But my blood pressure seems to be improving. It was like 117/82 this morning at the doc's, and it had been creeping up into the low 130's/high 80's in the past year. I've also lost about 10 pounds since October, so ya-frickin-hoo!

I attended 2 holiday parties this weekend, and BOTH of them had that evil creation: a home chocolate fountain. *sigh* Can you say chocolate-covered-potato-chips? I knew you could!