Friday, December 23, 2005

Well, happy Friday to you! And to me, and to everyone else trying to get ready for the weekend. Happy solstice, first day of winter, and that other big day on 12/25.

I did go to the gym on Wed. (yay!), and I did stop at home so my son could get a towel. Nice mommy, huh? I'm glad the kids are staying active during the cold months.

30 minutes on the elliptical, my new favorite. I was less energetic than my last romp, so it seemed that my heart rate went up faster with less resistance/ramp height and it definitely seemed more challenging, even though I was taking it easier. Ah well, at least I'm working out! I was wearing my clothes from my last workout, and didn't realize quite how, um, ripe they were, but soon shared that ripeness with my fellow workouters. I'm sure they LOVED that!!! Gross, but pretty damn funny.

Shoulders and back on Wed., and I asked a fellow free-weight-room-dude about one of the exercises he was doing (pulling up on a bar off a pulley from the ground, so his elbows were sticking out - apparently it's for your shoulders). I love learning new ways of using the free weights/pulley machines. I am an addict to fitness magazines that show these new ways, but usually don't incorporate them because I haven't worked out for long enough (i.e. past 2 months) to get tired of my current routine. I think it's amusing that I am so bold to ask people questions, since normally I'm rather shy around strangers. Almost all of the time, though, they are happy to help. I love it! It helps restore my faith in humanity, which seems to decrease every year. :-(

Eating has been ok, I guess. I had a big lunch yesterday (ate way too much - I *hate* that bulging-full feeling, and again don't know why I don't just stop), so I wasn't really hungry last night, and was proud that I didn't end up eating something for the sake of eating something. I had an apple before bed, and that was the perfect snack. I have been trying, in the past year or two, to eat more protein, which I don't really like. I can't have more than a small serving of chicken or meat before I start gagging on the rest, so I've been searching for alternatives. I adore cashews (raw unsalted), almonds (raw unsalted), peanut butter (try for natural, but the kids have their not-so-natural version which I also eat sometimes), cheese sticks. I'm trying to have fish more often, and almost always get that when I eat out (not often) since the kids don't like it at home, and it often stinks up the joint. Tofu and protein shakes sometimes. Tuna on my salad. I could eat bacon all day long, but obviously that's not a very good choice at all. I do have eggs, but again start gagging if I eat them too many days in a row. I've been boiling the natural cage-free eggs to have on my salad, which is good. Oh, and I try to have flaxseed oil on my salad each time I have it. Hummus too, although I'm not sure the protein content on that.

I know this is long, but it's flowing, baby. One last note of interest (to me anyway, since I doubt anyone's actually reading this!) - I've been working on a particular family relationship, and have not been journalling at all about it (or much of anything else, for that matter), but last night I sat down in front of the christmas tree and journalled my little heart out. I learned an excellent trigger sentence (for me, anyway): "This is what I have to say to you..." For some reason, having the direct conversation on paper is so powerful for me. I believe this technique comes from Danna Faulds, who is an amazing poetess - she blossomed from doing yoga, and has channeled her gifts into writing. If I've improperly attributed the technique, I apologize. Anyway, it works big time for me.

Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home