Friday, March 30, 2007

Fitty (per)cent

Went to the dr's this morning, and I can now put 50% of my weight on my right leg, which is terrific. I can also take off the brace now & then, and even better, sleep without it! The scar is healing nicely, and I can now start massaging it, which will hopefully help it heal, re-align the tissue underneath so the scar doesn't look as bad. It's really not *that* bad, especially comparing it to post-surgery, when I had 20+ staples and the skin was bunched up like a monorail track, yuck!

The skin on my leg has been in pretty bad shape, peeling and very dry. Probably due to the lack of regular circulation, lack of breathing due to the brace, and rubbing from the brace. It's still pretty numb to the right and under my knee, which is the opposite of what I would expect, given that my incision is on the left. I know nerves run weird ways, though, so...the dr. said I may always have a numb spot.

He hopes to have me up to full weight-bearing in a couple of weeks, although it will still be awhile before I can drive.

It was SOSOSOSOSOSO nice to leave the house today! I hadn't been out in a month. The daffodils and other spring plants are halfway up, and some have their pretty little yellow buds waiting to explode. It's only been in the 40's/50's, although I think it's supposed to hit 60 today.

I guess it will be longer than I thought before I can return to exercising fully, since the fracture takes about 3 months to heal fully, which puts me until at least mid-May. In the grand scheme of life, a few extra weeks is no big deal. Especially considering how many months I've gone without exercising in the past! Still, when you are not allowed to do something, don't you just want to do it all the more?

I'm feeling much more hopeful and optimistic. I've learned a lot about myself during this period, and I'm sure have more to learn in the next month or so, and beyond. I've recaptured some of my inner joy and love, my pure untarnished zest for life. It's been awhile, folks. On my worst days, I was worried it was gone forever. I know my work situation has been part of the reason for burying it away, and I look forward to moving into my new career as a massage therapist, and doing what I was put here to do. Patience, sweet xena, patience.

2 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Zara said...

Glad to hear you got out and walking. I can't believe what you've been through - OUCH!

Your weather sounds like ours - can't wait for those blooms! And how nice of Beth to bring you curry and tulips. That's gotta put some "spring" in your step! (groan at that pun...I did!)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Xena said...

You have some excellent puns, girl. Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home