Sunday, May 27, 2007

I can drive!

Another milestone today - my bf took me down to the big office complex empty parking lot, and I drove the car. It was weird to be in the driver's seat again, and definitely freeing. I had no problems in the parking lot, so we took a drive to the local farmstand and got some fresh spinach (sauteed some last week with slivered almonds and olive oil, and a splash of lemon juice, yum!). My knee felt like there were muscles trying to move around it, but it didn't hurt. I had to lift my leg/foot to get to the brake....we tried a couple of "slam on the brake" stops in the parking lot and it didn't hurt my knee, so that was a good sign.

It's looking more & more as though I might have scar tissue in the joint, as it still pinches/burns when I try to straighten my leg, and it bounces right back up when the PT tries to force it down/straight. Unfortunately my doc is on vacation for a week, so I can't talk to him about arthroscopic surgery to clean the scar tissue out.

I still can't walk yet, using the crutches everywhere. Well, except for last week at work when I was hopping around my desk to get to my files and tripped on my sandal. I came down full force on my bad leg, heard a POP! and then landed on the floor. I felt really stupid, and thankfully didn't seem to do any serious damage. We're still not sure what the popping was, perhaps scar tissue tearing. I don't seem to have any long-term problems from it, other than my hurt pride. Boy, did I feel stupid! My boss and two coworkers came running in as I rolled on the floor, clutching my knee. Duh.

Summer is coming on strong now, and I can't make plans to go camping or other active stuff until I know when I'll be walking again. I know it could be a lot worse - I have a small taste of what it is like to be disabled, and can't imagine being so permanently. I keep telling myself that I am moving forward, even if it seems unbearably slow, and I have many blessings in my life. This too shall pass.

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Naturally Blessed said...

this is an old post....but i can relate...i eat to numb my emotions....to distract myself with things that i should actually be dealing with. its a bandaid...and a raggedy bandaid at that.

i do not have children....but i think the sullen-one-word thing happens to most teens at some point ('specially hormonal females)....i remember doing that. i re-emerged a few years later as a fairly happy individual...overall i think i turned out alright (this could be argued on some many points...but lets let it slide today *wink*)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home