Monday, January 22, 2007

And then it gets hard

Well, the New Year bloom has worn off, and now it's time to do the hard work of keeping up with these goals and exercise. I definitely felt the struggle last week, and acknowledged it for what it is/was. I just gotta suck it up and move on!

I exercised every night except for the icy night (Monday?), mostly yoga. I did a nice long elliptical on Friday night, when the Y was thankfully almost empty and I didn't even have a neighbor on the machines. The free weight room was deserted too, except for a few dudes in & out. I was able to go back to my previous weights level, which made me very happy and amazed me as to how quickly the body & muscles "remember" what they used to be able to do. I was huffing & puffing a bit on the elliptical, but at least I had the resistance on (set at 5; can't remember the highest number it goes to - 12? 15?) this time.

I can feel the difference in my body already, most notably my buddha belly, which is where I always gain weight first. It's unfortunate that I have such animosity towards this poor little guy - so much emotion tied up in a physical piece of me that will *always* be a piece of me, no matter how big or how little. I remember getting a massage about a year ago, and when she massaged my abdomen, I broke into sobs. Why am I so cruel to myself??? To an innocent span of flesh that only responds to what I do to my body. Of *course* it's not going to stay trim and firm if I don't take care of it, and eat crap day after day. It's done so much for me - protected my 2 babies, supported my mellophone-playing days and thousands of belly laughs, been the happy recipient of my bf's kisses, and so on. Wow, I don't know where *that* all came from!!!

Anyway, eating is slowly getting on track. There were 3 days last week that food was provided here at work, and it was challenging to get veggies only. I have some parsnip/kale/black bean for a few meals, and need to figure out what I'm going to have the rest of the week besides salad. I am craving warm, heavy foods due to the time of year and sudden chill we're experiencing.

I did so-so on my goals from last week, and will be having the same for this week. I've already taken my floradil and multivitamin today, have 2 oranges beside me for later snacking, and my parsnip/kale/black bean dish for lunch. I need to fill up my water mug...

Gentle yoga for tonight. Speaking of which, I did a vigorous class on Saturday morning, and was worried about keeping up, given my long break and slow, stiff return, but I did very well and tried hard to listen to my body. It felt good to push a little.

And I start school up on Wednesday, yippee! Hot stones massage class, can't wait. Thankfully it's only 6 weeks and I don't have any other classes, so I should have a thousand-times-better chance at maintaining my clean eating and regular exercise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home